Hello Pirates, this is your captain speaking....
This week's theme is MEDIA. The question that I think is interesting for us to talk about is this :
A lot of people say that the media (newspapers, tv stations, radio stations, etc.) are not fair or accurate.
For example, some people say that because a few big companies own most of the tv and radio stations, you can't TRUST the media.
Another point of view is that it is up to the CONSUMER - me, you- to look at many different sources of information. Maybe if we can't get good information, the problem is US, not the media...
What do you think?
1. Can you trust the information you get on tv, radio, internet, etc.?
2. Do you think the media in Canada are good? Fair? Do we get good quality information? Do we get enough information?
3. Whose responsibilty is it to make sure you get quality information?
I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say, pirates....

21 Comments:
I think that the informations that media gives to us are fair, but they don`t always talk about think that we will no.... sometime they can talk about thinks more important ... and they don`t... so I think the informations are right but not always important.
melissa
11:25 AM
Hi! I think that sometimes, the medias presents just one view point of the news...for this reason, we have to be objective when we listen the the tv or read the news paper.We should do our own idea about the news.
Marie-Christine
11:25 AM
I think that medias can let us know just what they want. For example, on the tv we just see about Iran, war and killings, and for that reason, a lot of people think that all Iran people are terrorists, they think that all musulmans are extremists, but it is not the reality. The most of the time, we can believe that everything in news or news paper is true, but they just show what they want that we see...
Marilyne
11:32 AM
Hi everybody,
I think the media don't give all time the good information because we know now some news ares not truth like during the gulf war or again the war in Iran. Some medias invent some storie to capt the intention of the public or just for the big bosses appreciate about what they talk like Bush during the election in this country he said at his elector that the other participant are in advance than they didn't need to vote but that is not the thrut he just wanted to win. In canada, I don't konw if it is bettter but I think it is not always the truth just for captivate the auditor. that is my mind. But I think the best information come from of the real person who happens the story.
That is my mind !!
Annie
11:33 AM
So i made a big mistake.... It`s not "no" that I wanted to write but "know" .. sorry ! :)
melissa
11:33 AM
I agree with Melissa...sometimes, it s like if the medias doesn t know what to talk about! One time, a girl of TQS said that she had noting to say because no accident happens in the day! I was angry...they always happen somethings in the word and the tv medias waiting for and accident in Quebec...or they waiting for news about some famous people...
Marie-Christine
11:33 AM
i agree with you Marie-Christine i love your mind !! Just do own idea about the news.
Annie
11:34 AM
I think that medias in Canada are better than some others country, because they have the right to know everything. But when we talk about famous people, I don't think it is so good... because it is not always the truth and I think it is not nice to let know to all the world what they do. They have the right to have a private life.
Marilyne
11:35 AM
1. Can you trust the information you get on tv, radio, internet, etc.?
2. Do you think the media in Canada are good? Fair? Do we get good quality information? Do we get enough information?
3. Whose responsibilty is it to make sure you get quality information?
I'm agree with Marie-Christine. We should do our own idea about the news. I think that we can trust the media. They are a good source of informations but sometimes they tell the new not correctly, to dramatic or not enough dramatic. Also, sometime, they don't talk about regional news but they talk about less important new about the another country or region. I don't know if it is like that in your region, but me , I live in a little region and it is like that.
11:35 AM
I agree with you girls... Sometimes the informations are useless or not enough precisely...
That's very frustated, cause sometimes also they talk about a situation or a fact that we know (for example something happened in your city), and they change the reality, or they don't explain well, and all people imagine what they want except the true!!!
Grrrrrrrrrr! (I'm frustated hihihi)
Andreanne Laliberte
11:35 AM
I think it is the responsability of the parents, but also of the governement and of the medias. There should be laws.
Marilyne
11:36 AM
It was me, Sylvie sorry I forgot myt name (
11:37 AM
i think that the media don't give the good information but i think its good to have media because they inform us about a lot of real things too!
layla
11:37 AM
i agree with you maryline! :)
layla
11:38 AM
I think we all agree about the same ideas. We always need to have our own opinion about news.
Marilyne
11:39 AM
hello,
Great comments, everyone.
Marilyne said something that I think is interesting, and some of you said the same thing : That if we ONLY see stories about Iranian (for example) terrorists, we might think that EVERY Iranian is a terrorist. So, even if what is reported on the news is TRUE, the problem is that what IS NOT reported on the news is true also. The problem is what is LEFT OUT (NOT SAID).
There is a saying about journalism : "IF IT BLEEDS, IT LEADS." That means an EXCITING story with violence will be on the front page, but an IMPORTANT story with no violence will be hidden in the back of the newspaper.
BUT...Maybe it is OUR RESPONSIBILITY to go and find more normal, everyday stories about people in other countries. What I mean is, if we think the media are not good, it is our responsibility to change that.
For me, the big question is :
"How can we find the information that is not in the news? What can WE do to improve the quality of the media?
Any ideas...
Pablo
11:44 AM
I think that it s the responsability of each person to understand the information...like Annie said, I think that the person who s happen the story are the best for give the information. The government can t change someting cause it can t take advantage of the truth. it s sure that the medias and the government have many links...
Marie-Christine
11:45 AM
Mmmmm the reponsability of ERVERYBODY, to be well informed, we should be able to trust the media.
But, that's not the situation now, medias are not trustworthy. So our responsability is to try to get best informations we can with choices we have.
Otherwise, maybe that's also our responsability to change the kind of the media, WE'RE THE FUTURE WE'RE EQUAL OF EACH OTHER, so we're guilty like the boss of the company... No... I exagerate... But, maybe we can change the situation... Some people of our group will maybe become a worker in the world of the Communications...
I THINK, ALL TOGHETER, WE CAN DO A DIFFERENCE...
Andy Laliberte
11:46 AM
We could do some good research on the web for find some others news paper articles. In this manner, we could see the opinions of others country. If you really want to know about Iran, you should find a news paper from Iran.
Marilyne
11:47 AM
I think the media present just what they want to talk and sometimes is not the reallity.
cath
11:48 AM
I`m agree with you Marilyne
Cath
11:49 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home